“It’s part of my life, and it gets into my art”: a Q & A with Wóokiye Wiŋ

Wóokiye Wiŋ, who also goes by Katie Bendickson, is an educator and artist. She currently teaches in the Dakhódiapi Wahóȟpi (Dakota Language Nest) preschool program at ICD’s Child Development Laboratory School (CDLS). She is also creating a mural onsite. In this Q & A, she shares about her motivation for creating art and her family’s connection to CDLS.

How did the mural come about?

WW: I received a grant for emerging artists from Forecast Public Arts. My proposal was for a mural about Dakota language today and in the future. I wanted to create a public art piece that would show intergenerational Dakota speaking Dakota, because that is the point of the Dakhódiapi Wahóȟpi, or Dakota Language Nest, here at CDLS.

Wóokiye Wiŋ, an Indigenous woman with a long ponytail, a big smile, and a white-and-green tee shirt points to a wall where a drawing of two adults and four children is projected
Wóokiye Wiŋ shows a sketch for the mural design projected on the wall where she will paint it

I wanted the mural to be here at CDLS because my son went to the Nest for two years. My other half, his dad, was instrumental in establishing the program. We speak Dakota with him at home, and we were happy to have the opportunity to have him in the Nest, because it is an immersion program. He was exposed to Dakota not just at home with me and his dad, but with others. It was good for him to see that it’s not just mom and dad who speak Dakota. It’s normalized for him. Plus, CDLS is a very high-quality environment, so we felt great about having him here.

The mural design shows children, a mom, and a grandmother, so it will have intergenerational Dakota people. For references, I used my own photos of people who were learning Dakota. The two babies in the picture are based on photos of the first children in their generation who are first-language Dakota speakers. So, of course, they had to be in the mural! [Dakota language revitalization] is the motivation behind this mural and the Nest. It’s part of my life, and as an artist, it gets into my art. This is my first mural, and my mom, who is also an artist, is helping me out every step of the way.

Why is it important to show an intergenerational group of people?

It’s important because that is the goal–for the Dakota language to be taught by intergenerational members of the Dakota. We value our elders very much, and we also value our children very much. Those are traditional Dakota values. Elders often come and live with younger generations, and we take care of them. Traditionally, the elders help to teach and raise the children. They share language, knowledge, and wisdom. They give to the children just by being themselves.

You mentioned this is your first mural. What other types of art do you make?

I’ve been making traditional art such as beadwork and traditional regalia for the longest time. As a child I would dance in the powwows, and all my regalia was handmade. My mom made it, and once I was old enough, she taught me. Since then I’ve been making beadwork, sewing, and designing.

Recently, in 2020, when COVID hit, I decided I wanted to draw and paint. Over the past four years, I’ve been experimenting with different mediums. My favorite right now is watercolor, but my first illustrations were done in colored pencil. When I want to learn something new, I watch YouTube tutorials.

One reason why I’m interested in drawing and painting is because there’s a need for Dakota-language curriculum and books. Those books need illustrations. I’ve illustrated two Dakota-language children’s books now. The first one I designed myself. I took an online, asynchronous class in graphic design to learn how to use Adobe software. I thought it would be cool to try digital arts, but I hated it! I prefer traditional mediums, so I decided that I’ll draw the illustrations and hand them off, and somebody else can do the rest!

The second book I illustrated is called “What’s for Lunch?” in English, and my husband and I published it through our nonprofit, Dakhóta Iápi Okhódakičhiye, which translates to the Dakota Language Society. There are currently five more children’s books that I’m going to illustrate. I’ll also be working on this mural throughout the winter.

While teaching preschool at the same time!

I’ll be busy, but I’m going with the flow, and I trust that this is how it’s supposed to be.

Wóokiye Wiŋ’s first group exhibition wrapped up at Two Rivers Gallery on August 31, 2024. She currently has artwork on display at the Mitchell Hamline School of Law’s Warren E. Burger Library. You can also find her on the web and on Instagram (@wookiye_win).